Being inspired by Lachlan's comprehensive list of his favourite 2011 hits I though I would put together a small list of my own. Personally I thought while trying to filter through the sheer volume of stuff coming out to find albums you actually enjoy, there was quite a few goodies to come from 2011, although often over hyped and just generally over saturated these days its hard to tell whats a hit and whats shit. I would like to read more about different music and original new releases but everyone gets the same press releases, the same promo CD's and writes the same shit about the same overworked bullcrap. My list might not be that surprising for those who know me, but hey, I can't help like what I like. That being said here's my lists.
Top 5 releases of 2011
- Unknown Mortal Orchestra - Unknown Mortal Orchestra: After seeing them live this month I couldn't go past including this album. Just some great fuzzed out pop.
- Tyler, The Creator - Goblin: Possibly over-hyped yes, but on first listen I fell in love, it gave me hope for the future of music.
- The Middle East - I Want That You Are Always Happy: Great album full stop.
- Adalita - Adalita: Sad chick music, sounds awesome and gives me goosebumps.
- Anchors - Bad Juju: Aussie melodic punk, I listen to this HEAPS and it never gets old.
The best extreme music of 2011
- The Kill - Shower of Bricks: Noone says no to The Kill
- The Reverend Jesse Custer - S/T: Great grindcore from Canberra, straight up awesome.
- Totally Unicorn - Horse Hugger EP: Party dudes, party metal, and are even better live.
- Raein - Sulla linea d'orizzonte tra questa mia vita e quella di tutti: To help you get heaps excited for the Jan tour!
- Ironhide - Create/Collapse/Repeat: Good album! I like listening this to psyche myself up.
Best gigs of 2011
- Defiance, Ohio - Secret Show @ Sham Haus (January)
Defiance should only ever be seen in a house show circumstance, where their music most makes sense, support by the Smith Street band and a whole bunch of acoustic locals. Heaps sweaty and awesome.
- Iron Lung - Dirty Shirlows (January)
Finally I got to see Iron Lung, as powerful as predicted. They need to play for longer, I don't care, I loved it.
- Bluesfest - Byron Bay (April)
Fishbone and The Aggrolites, need i say more?
- Yo Gabba Gabba - Opera House (June)
Front row brilliance and DJ Vance getting those toddlers screaming for more
- Family Man, Atomgevitter - Bandung, Indonesia (July)
I chose this show because it was a true underground Indonesian venue, sweaty, full of punks getting stoked on all things Kontrasosial and raging D-beat. A great show.
- Artless Armchair 7 (December)
Grindcore, folk, party rock and DJ's playing music on a remote farm for a whole weekend. My favourite weekend of the year... every year.
What I would like to see come out of 2012
- More Weezer
- White Male Dumbinance playing more shows
- The new Agents of Abhorrence album
I get a little hard every time I think about this new album finally coming to fruition.
- More people finding great albums and sharing them.
So more great music is heard.
Australian Grind Hero of the Year
Tom Scott for his tireless effort letting us play in his shopfront every weekend, feeding us veg pies and putting on great shows week in week out.